SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SG Tester 2

We've moved! Please register with us at the new Simmer's Garden.

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchLog inRegister
We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden! We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden! We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden!

Facebook
Who is online?
In total there are 22 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 22 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 158 on Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 am

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CindaLove
Admin
CindaLove

Female

Pisces Posts : 3130
Simoleons : 706421

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial    Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Created By: SimSherry2

Created: 09.17.2005 - Updated: 09.17.2005

Would you like to add an attached garage to a house that's built on a foundation? Or maybe you'd like an arched arbor or carport to cover the driveway? No problem! Let's build them together.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 110

There's one essential cheat code that we'll need to use, and at least one other that also comes in handy.

The floor cheat:
boolprop constrainFloorElevation false
(change false to true to deactivate it)

The move objects cheat:
moveObjects on
(change on to off to deactivate it)

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 211

The first thing you need is a house to attach the garage to. Unless you're building a garage first, then adding the house. But we'll do it the other way around for now.

I recently had to rebuild the house for my Legacy of Stinky Pete family, and they didn't have a garage yet, so I figured their place was as good as any to use for this tutorial.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 310

The driveway piece and extenders each require an area of 5x8 tiles to place them within your lot. The driveway is actually a 5x10 section though, with a row that goes over the sidewalk, and a row that goes over the grassy area between the street and the sidewalk.

To place a driveway you must be at least 7 tiles away from the right end of the street. Since the area where I plan to build the garage is actually near the left end of the street, there will be no problem placing it.

With all that in mind, choose a spot 8 tiles in from the street that is big enough for a garage at least 5 tiles wide, and 8 tiles long. Lay down the driveway section, keeping 1 extra tile between the house and the driveway.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 410

There, now lets start on the garage foundation. We'll use the regular wall tool for this step.

At the end of the driveway, put up a 6-section wall like this. You can't build right next to the house yet, so just leave that tile empty and extend the wall on the other side. The garage will actually end up being a 7x8 room.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 510

Let's go ahead and lay down some floor tiles that match the driveway before bulding the rest of the walls. Starting from the end, place 8 tiles like so.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 610

Then drag the tile diagonally from the back corner to the wall by the house and driveway. This is how big our garage will be.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 710

Now go ahead and place the other walls to enclose the floor tiles, stopping just one tile away from the house.

Time to save, we'll turn on the floor cheat next. It's always a good idea to save your progress before turning this cheat on since it can do some pretty crazy things to your lot if not used with great care.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 810

Enter the cheat: boolprop constrainFloorElevation false

Then VERY slowly and carefully, close the gap between the garage walls & the house foundation. It may take a few moments to get it in place. If it doesn't turn out just right the first time, just click Undo and try again. The walls above & adjacent to this connection will jump up as shown in the picture, but we'll level that out.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 910

Complete the "room" by attaching both sides to the house.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1010

See? Told you this cheat did some crazy stuff! But this is just what we need it to do.

Now place a couple of random floor tiles at the corner on top of the garage wall. This gives us a control tile to help level the walls to 1/4 height, which is the exact same size as the house foundation.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1110

Pick a spot on the house foundation and place the level tool there. Drag the level to the control tiles...

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1210

And the walls pop down to the right height!

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1310

Turn off the floor cheat for a few minutes by entering: boolprop constrainFloorElevation true

Then save again, if you like.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1410

Next, build a room on top of the garage foundation walls.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1510

Then switch your angle so that you're facing the driveway. In order for the garage door to work we need to change these five wall sections so they are normal wall height. Go ahead and remove the wall foundation section as shown.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1610

Now turn the cheat back on: boolprop constrainFloorElevation false

And carefully replace the wall you just removed. Notice how the wall above it pops up again, and the end walls are slanted? If yours looks like this, you're doing great!

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1710

Now head up to the top of the garage and drag the level tool from the back corner to the front corner, diagonally opposite.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1810

Yeah! Now it's all level. Turn the floor cheat off again: boolprop constrainFloorElevation true

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 1910

Down at ground level, go ahead and add a matching driveway extension piece in the garage.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2010

And place the garage door! You can't place the garage door until the extension is inside the garage.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2110

This is how it should look from ground level.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2210[/url]

And here's what you see at foundation level. Now we need a door from the house to the garage for easy access. Find a door you like and place it wherever there's room, keeping in mind that you'll need a couple tiles on one side so you can place steps. Placing the door will automatically reserve the tile in front of it for some flooring.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2310

Put a piece of standard foundation beneath the door.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2410

And add a set of stairs. The cement ones that came with University look really nice in a garage, I think.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2510

Time to choose the wall coverings! When you're working with slanted walls, such as you see on either side of the garage door, it's important to choose a wall covering that blends together. Anything with horizontal stripes looks pretty bad, but stucco usually works quite well, and of course, paint also works well. Switch angles to make sure you're covering all areas of the foundation and then the garage walls.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2610[/url]

Finish off by placing a floor tile at the top of the steps, and use some fencing as a rail.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2710

Then do the outside walls. Vertical wall paneling has a continuous line that looks good on slanted walls. You can hardly even tell that isn't a normal wall on the left side of the garage door, right?

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2810

Let's add the roof next, and then we can place some windows.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 2910

When you're ready to buy a car and want it to automatically go into the garage on return trips home, you must place it on the driveway extension. You have to ignore the foundation grid and go to ground level to place anything in the room.

] Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3010

You could also buy another car and place it on the driveway. If a car is blocking another one in the garage, the inside car will "magically" teleport to the street when in use. You won't find your Sims stuck in the garage waving frantically and thinking "Hey, there's a Van in my way, and I can't get to work, so I'll just stand here doing this for an hour!" Thank goodness.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3110

But if you like the idea of having a garage, but just parking in the driveway, you could always delete the extension piece after the garage door is in place. Then you've got all that extra room for whatever you want!

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3210

Or maybe you do want to park in the garage, but would still like to use some of the extra space. Any tiles outside of the driveway extension can be used, though there may be a few exceptions, depending on the object. With a row of tiles on either side in this garage, however, there's room for a few more things.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3310

That's pretty much it for the garage. There's room for some light fixtures on either side of the door, and once you've got them in place, you're done! Unless you'd like to add a carport, that is. A carport can really enhance the look of your car's new home.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3410

So let's build one. First, delete the driveway, we can get another one later. Then replace the driveway area with some floor tiles that show the grid lines easily.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial Snapsh10

To make sure the carport is level with the house, it needs to be built on a foundation. Lay down a 5x7 section of standard foundation on top of the driveway area.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3610

Then use the room tool to make a room on top of the foundation.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3710

Cover the room with floor tiles of your choice. I just love rgiles' transparent floor tiles, so I'll use the green one here.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3810

Now you have some options to chose from. Do you want lattice arbor over your driveway? An arched carport? Or maybe just extend the roof to cover the driveway so it blends in with the rest of the house?

Let's see how it looks with the roof extension first.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 3910

Once the roof is in place on the flooring above, remove the walls beneath it.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4010

A roof that large wouldn't look right without some support, right? So lets remove all of the foundation that covers the driveway area, and leave the 5x1 sections on either side. Place 3 pillars on each as shown.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4110

Those foundation pieces would make nice flowerboxes, don't you think? Put some of that "Near Dirt" floor tiling on top of them then use the move objects cheat to place some bamboo on top and around the pillars. Go down to ground level and place some bamboo within the flowerboxes to give the vary the height of the foilage, and try turning them this way and that as you place the bamboo so they look more natural. Then top the edges of each flowerbox with some flower borders.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4210

Not bad. Let's see what a lattice arbor made from a flower border looks like.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4310[/url]

Pretty good. To get this effect, just remove the roof and cover the floor tiles with flower border fencing in the design of your choice. Then hold down the control key and drag a floor tile across the design to easily remove all the floor tiles.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4410

I want to keep the glass tiles though, and form an arch over the driveway. I used vertical lines to create a very simple design with the flower border on top of the glass tiles.

This is a great time to save, if you're working along with me.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4510

Delete all but one of the pillars, and one of the bamboo trees, and set them off to the side. Having them there just means you won't have to go searching through build mode when you're ready to put them back.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4610

Then remove the foundations and all but this 5x5 area of ground floor tiles. These just help show the work area.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4710

Now it's time to turn on the floor cheat again: boolprop constrainFloorElevation false

Then use the raise terrain tool and raise this spot by 2 clicks of the mouse. Count carefully. Then place the level tool on the raised tip and drag to the corner of the floor tiles diagonally opposite to raise the work area, and the carport.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4810

Go to the next tile and raise again by 2 clicks.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 4910

Level from the raised tip to this diagonal point.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 5010

And one more time, but now we only need to raise by 1 click, so it will have a more rounded look.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 5110

From the raised tip, level straight out toward the street, to the diagonal corner.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 5210

And there's the arch! Turn the floor cheat off again: boolprop constrainFloorElevation true

Then remove all the work are floor tiles.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 5310

Use the level tool to flatten the terrain once more.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 5410

And replace the flowerbox foundations with all the trimmings. And then we're done! There's just no limit to the variations you can use to make your garage and/or carport something remarkable.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 5510

Thank you for reading this tutorial, and I sincerely hope it was helpful. Be sure to turn off all cheat codes when you're done with them.

Stinky Pete's Place will be available for download, with the garage and carport as shown, in case anyone would like to add it to their game. Special thanks to rgiles of Mod The Sims2 for the glass floor tiles I use so often, I just love them! And as always, thank you to the many wonderful Sim architects who's lots and tutorials are positively inspiring.

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial 5610

Last edited by CindaLove on Sat May 30, 2015 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cindassimstyle.com/
Lilly LeClaire
Vocal Legend
Vocal Legend
Lilly LeClaire

Female

Leo Posts : 943
Simoleons : 679247

PostSubject: Nightlife Garage on a Foundation Tutorial    Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 10:21 am

Thank you, CindaLove!

It's fantastic to have this here. I've used the way she builds the carport roof to make flower covered walkways. (You have to build with "moveObjects on".) I just use the flowers, I think they are probably water lilies, from the pond and place them in the empty spaces. I've made them sparse and thick. I think there are 4 colors. These flowers don't need to be tended. I haven't tried the flower bed flowers but they might sprout weeds or die from lack of water. lafflol

I've tried several of the flower bed edges and they all work to define the square spaces. It makes it seem like a lattice work ceiling. It really turns out beautiful and I've been very pleased with the result. I hope it's helpful to other Simmers as well.

goodluck , again!

Lilly flower
Back to top Go down
CindaLove
Admin
CindaLove

Female

Pisces Posts : 3130
Simoleons : 706421

PostSubject: Re: Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial    Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:18 pm

You're very welcome, Lilly. It's a very informative tutorial. I've never known how to make a curved roof - now I know how to do it!

flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.cindassimstyle.com/
BBdoll3
Admin
BBdoll3

Female

Scorpio Posts : 2228
Simoleons : 770163

PostSubject: Re: Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial    Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks Cinda! I'll have to try this one!
Back to top Go down
Lilly LeClaire
Vocal Legend
Vocal Legend
Lilly LeClaire

Female

Leo Posts : 943
Simoleons : 679247

PostSubject: Nightlife Garage on a Foundation Tutorial    Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 11:54 pm

Yes, I thought it was a great tutorial, too. There is some great information and using the basics that she shares, any Simmer can be creative and branch off like I did with the flower covered breezeway.

I tried to see whether or not I could find any more like this one--which was a 5 Star Award Winning Tutorial--following your link, CindaLove but was not successful. I'll have to look through my notes and see whether or not I noted anything else.

Have fun, BBdoll. I imagine with your great building skills, you'll be able to come up with some wonderful ideas for your houses.

Lilly flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial    Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nightlife Garage On A Foundation Tutorial
Page 1 of 1