SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SG Tester 2

We've moved! Please register with us at the new Simmer's Garden.

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchLog inRegister
We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden! We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden! We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden!

Facebook
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 158 on Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 am

The bees are coming!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Flutterby
Local Phenomenon
Local Phenomenon
Flutterby

Female

Capricorn Posts : 161
Simoleons : 693045

The bees are coming!  Empty
PostSubject: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 3:57 pm

I wasn't sure if I should to post this here or in the hobby area (feel free to move it)
... it's that time of year again when we have swarm (or two) of bees come to our house... at least they didn't come in the house this year (mostly cause the swarm from last year are still behind the siding of the house groan )

They landed in a nearby tree instead...here is a couple of the photos I took ..where they are about 50 feet up it was hard to get good photos so I didn't get to many this time.

The local bee association dropped off a "nuke box" in hopes that the bees will go into it so that they can be transferred to an actual hive. They are to high up to be shaken out of the tree into a box like they normally would do.

The bees are coming!  1283_zps46af08fa
The bees are coming!  1285_zps648439ce
Back to top Go down
BBdoll3
Admin
BBdoll3

Female

Scorpio Posts : 2228
Simoleons : 773313

PostSubject: Re: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 1:59 pm

buggout O....m.....g....! That is terrible. scaredy There was something here in CA a few years back where this house was infested with those things, the city sent out Bee Collectors or something to get rid of them. They was putting them in boxes and all. Can you call a person who works with bees to come get them?

That is scary!! buggout I'm assuming those are honey bees. Those are the worse! They will attack you. I had that happen to me when I was around 10. There was these bees in a tree and some friends of mine aggravated them and ran. When I was trying to catch up with them, the bees attacked me. I had bee stings all over my face. Around my eyes and all. I tried getting them off, but they were like Stuck to my face.

My face had swollen up big as a balloon and my eyes had swollen shut. Could not go to school for over a week it was so bad. My dad put cig tobacco on my face to draw out the stingers. It was bad!

I sure hope you can get rid of those things. We have Wasps around our house. I go out and check often and take down their nest. They have even started making nest in our truck doors. Crazy! scaredy
Back to top Go down
Lilly LeClaire
Vocal Legend
Vocal Legend
Lilly LeClaire

Female

Leo Posts : 943
Simoleons : 682397

PostSubject: The bees are coming!   The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 5:34 pm

Oh, Flutterby those are some fantastic pictures of the bees but I'm very glad that I'm here just looking at the pictures and not there where the bees are live. buggout I hope that you are able to get them into the box so they can be productive and produce honey for some local bee keeper.

No bees here but one of my friends is having trouble with honey bees who have decided to swarm their pool pump. She and her husband are working on trying to find them a new home and reclaim their pool pump. It has a cover over it and so I guess they like think it makes a good hive. Laughing

tnx4sharing

Lilly flower
Back to top Go down
Flutterby
Local Phenomenon
Local Phenomenon
Flutterby

Female

PostSubject: Re: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks BB and Lilly,

The swarm that was in the tree never did go into the box that the bee people set out. Those bees flew off to somewhere else yesterday I think it was.

BB, yes they are honey bees. Wow sorry you was attacked so badly as a kid. When they get aggravated they can be very mean. Thankfully the several swarms of bees that we have had come to the house the last 7 years have been fairly mild and won't bother you usually.

Lilly, yeah pool pump would make a nice hive for them. Have they looked up the local bee association in their area?

I'll try to post some photos of the swarm I took last year if your interested in seeing them Razz
Back to top Go down
Lilly LeClaire
Vocal Legend
Vocal Legend
Lilly LeClaire

Female

Leo Posts : 943
Simoleons : 682397

PostSubject: The bees are coming!   The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Sure, the pictures of last year's swarm would be interesting. I'm interested as long as it's just pictures. Laughing

And, yes my friends has contacted several local bee keepers and companies that remove bees. I'm not sure exactly what they decided to so in the end but she did say that she was interested in someone that could keep them for the honey and also that honey bees are important to plants in the area. I'll probably find out later this week when I talk with her again.

Lilly flower
Back to top Go down
Flutterby
Local Phenomenon
Local Phenomenon
Flutterby

Female

PostSubject: Re: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Will try to get those posted soon.

The bee guy came and got his "nuke" which had bees in it.... we're not sure if the ones from the tree went in there or if its a different swarm (we usually get 2 swarms a year come to our house ...maybe we should start catching them and selling them)
Back to top Go down
BBdoll3
Admin
BBdoll3

Female

PostSubject: Re: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 pm

There has to be something inside your house, or around your house that is attracting them. scratch Did you do some research on maybe Bee Attractants? That would be interesting to know what attract those pest. I know they heartpump honeysuckle, that flower?
Back to top Go down
BBdoll3
Admin
BBdoll3

Female

PostSubject: Re: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Ck this out Flutterby.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Something else. This is interesting info!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Flutterby
Local Phenomenon
Local Phenomenon
Flutterby

Female

PostSubject: Re: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks BB those was interesting reads... and yeah it would be interesting to know why they are attracted to our house. Though the local bee association has said that more and more they have been having trouble with bees swarming and going into the siding of people's houses. scratch

I couldn't find the photos I took of last year's bee swarm... but found the ones I took of 2006 swarm. Basically looks the same, only difference is where they land, what color/kind of honey bee it is.

The bees are coming!  2204_zps4d0a6c80

The bees are coming!  2203_zpsd9c16baa

The bees are coming!  2208_zps93834a1d

The bees are coming!  2209_zps8e84d2c2

The bees are coming!  2206_zpsa6dde946
Back to top Go down
Flutterby
Local Phenomenon
Local Phenomenon
Flutterby

Female

PostSubject: Re: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 1:59 pm

I think its time to think about moving out of Dodge... within the last 2 days we have had 4 more swarms arrive. so now we have over 12,000 bees around our house (a "small" swarm is 3,000 bees) and no one from any of the bee associations wants to come get them. groan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The bees are coming!    The bees are coming!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The bees are coming!
Page 1 of 1