SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
SG Tester 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SG Tester 2

We've moved! Please register with us at the new Simmer's Garden.

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchLog inRegister
We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden! We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden! We've moved! Please join us at the new Simmer's Garden!

Facebook
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 158 on Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 am

Drama with my BBy Ramses!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BBdoll3
Admin
BBdoll3

Female

Scorpio Posts : 2228
Simoleons : 775263

Drama with my BBy Ramses! Empty
PostSubject: Drama with my BBy Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Ohhh Myyyy Gosh!  If it's not one thing it another... crying  My pet, Ramses has injured himself chasing this dang cat that comes in out back yard.  I think he hurt himself before, but it wasn't really that bad, but this time it's major.

He now has a ruptured ligament, and will need surgery.  I am having a very hard time trying to decide 'What' surgery is best.  I have two choices. Either the "TTA" (Tibial Tuberosity Advancement) procedure, or the "TPLO" (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy).  I saw the vet again today to get more info, and he told me the tplo is more reliable than the tta.  All of the pets who have had this procedure has had great results.  But reading what I found online does not make me feel to confident with either one. buggout 

Poor Ramses must be confined for 6-8 weeks in a crate.  Only time he can get out is to go potty.  This is 'required', in order for him to heal properly.  My husband is not going for that, so needless to say, he's leaving the decision up to me. But in either case, no matter which procedure he has, he has to be immobile for up to 6 weeks.  That's a given! crying 

I did some research.. coffeeread  and I felt better with the tta procedure, as it says there is less risk of infections; Less time to recover; Less invasive.  scratch   But the doctor says that this procedure is best for dogs under the weight of 45 lbs and works better, than for dogs over that weight limit.  Ramses is 56.7 lbs.  It's not guaranteed, and I may have to have the surgery all over again being that Ramses weight is over the limit.  I'm just bummed out and so upset about the whole ordeal.

The nurse and receptionist has either had the other procedure performed on their pet with great results, or knows several people who have had the procedure.  They both know of successful procedures from the tplo, and said they have at least (2) a month done at their office.   This procedure is gonna cost me up to $3K. crying   If I take him to a pet hospital it will cost $6K or more!  I'm just at a road block.  Have noooo idea what to do or which one to have performed. I want what's best for my Ramses, with very little trauma to his body. crying  Not getting the support I need from the spouse, as he says - as always - "Do what ever you want!"  Some support he is. No 

I'm gonna do more research and let Ramses doc know by this Friday, as he is leaving for vacation the week after.  bounce  I have and awful headache.  So unsure what to do at this point.  scratch  Thanks guys... I just needed to 'vent'.
unhappydance unhappydance
Back to top Go down
CindaLove
Admin
CindaLove

Female

Pisces Posts : 3130
Simoleons : 711521

PostSubject: Re: Drama with my BBy Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Sorry to hear Ramses is in this predicament. Our pets are such a big part of our family and they're not cheap, either. I will say a little prayer for him.
dog 
Back to top Go down
http://www.cindassimstyle.com/
BBdoll3
Admin
BBdoll3

Female

PostSubject: Re: Drama with my BBy Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 am

Thanks Cinda!
Back to top Go down
Lilly LeClaire
Vocal Legend
Vocal Legend
Lilly LeClaire

Female

Leo Posts : 943
Simoleons : 684347

PostSubject: Drama with my BBy Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 11:47 pm

mickeywave  Hi BBdoll,

Have had trouble geting online, so just saw this post. You may have already made a decision, but just in case. I had a couple questions.

What happens if you don't have any surgery? Is your dog older or younger and does that make a difference with either surgery?

It doesn't sound like any fun to have a dog be inactive for 6 weeks. I've found that hard for just a few days. It's not like you can explain to him, 'look Ramses, you just had this surgery so you have to rest and be quiet so that you heal properly.' No, I doubt that would he would understand that. It's hard for humans, who do understand, to be quiet and rest for 6 weeks while they are healing.

Whatever you chose, you and Ramses are in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Lilly flower 

Back to top Go down
BBdoll3
Admin
BBdoll3

Female

PostSubject: Re: Drama with my BBy Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello Lilly!mickeywave  Ramses isn't really that old.  We got him about a year after Snap passed.  I think in 2009? And he was just under a year old then. Maybe not quite a year.  If we don't get it fix, he will be crippled, may be in pain. I don't want his suffering, and all he does now is lay.  We keep him medicated.

I'm sure you have seen a few strays running around with issues  with a rear leg, looking like a little peg legged dog? Bouncing all around.  I don't want him suffering and unable to walk and play normally.  So surgery is the only option.  He ruptured his ligament in his knee, and there is nothing there to support his weight.

It won't be so bad, him being in a crate for that time while he heals.  And time will go fast.  The only issue is making sure he doesn't get infected, and caring for the area where he had surgery.  Just have to make adjustments to our routine for a while.  It's good that I'll be here 24/7 for him and not have to go to work.  That is what would be a hardship, trying to go to work everyday, and leaving him at home alone.  Not like he would be alone, because my hubby would be here, but he has medical issues of his own and most surely would not be able to take care of Ramses.

I'm getting him a crate where he can see us, so it won't be so bad.  He still wants to run after those cats even with his bad knee. Crazy dog!

No, age is not a factor.  The weight is what determines which procedure is used, and because he's well over 35-40 lbs., makes a difference.  I have talked to many people, getting feedback - asking questions.  I was unaware that so many pets have this procedure done.  Seems to be a very common injury once I started checking around.  I will be more observant and make sure he doesn't do anything to injure himself like this again.  I'm just glad that I have some $$ saved up for this.  It pays to put a few $$ on the side for emergencies.  I did not realize how expensive pets could be.  And that pet insurance is nothing but a rip off.. Oh well, the Lord always makes a way!  I trust him to make things work!

Thanks for your prayers, hun!
Back to top Go down
Lilly LeClaire
Vocal Legend
Vocal Legend
Lilly LeClaire

Female

PostSubject: bbY Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 8:28 pm

mickeywave  Hi BBdoll,

It sounds like surgery is the best thing for Ramses and that you've check out all the information. You and he are in my thoughts and in my prayers for a successful surgery and quick and healthy recovery for Ramses.

Lilly flower 
Back to top Go down
BBdoll3
Admin
BBdoll3

Female

PostSubject: Re: Drama with my BBy Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 3:18 am

thankyou  Lilly!
Back to top Go down
Lilly LeClaire
Vocal Legend
Vocal Legend
Lilly LeClaire

Female

PostSubject: BBy Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:06 am

You're welcome, BBdoll! sunny 

Lilly flower 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drama with my BBy Ramses!   Drama with my BBy Ramses! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drama with my BBy Ramses!
Page 1 of 1